Monday, November 7, 2011

Sketch a Etch

As I plan my next video, I have so many ideas.  This is currently one of my favorite things to do.  It's also great to Christmas gifts as well as gifts for any other occasions...  Glass etching.  I'm only going to show one idea in my video, just to demonstrate the technique, so since there are just so many fun way to use etching in your creative projects, I thought I'd share some additional ideas here.  And of course you can come up with your own.  With my method you don't have to buy those expensive stencils - if you can sketch it, you can etch it (just don't try to get to intricate with your sketching). 

Here's what I use: masking tape, a pencil, a hobby knife (I use an X-acto knife), a synthetic brush and etching cream...

Armour Etch is what I use.  I know there are other kinds out there, but I can't say how well they work or if my methods work as well with them because I started with this, liked it and it's the only kind I've used.
Before I start listing some of the great gits you can make with this, a few safety tips:  Work in a well ventilated area.  Wear protective glasses. Wear gloves.  Never ever get this stuff on your skin.  I must admit (since you'll probably notice this in my video anyway), I don't actually follow the goggles and gloves rules.  I'm just really careful, but please do as I say not as I do, or at least be really, really careful.  And if you do happen to get it on you, don't say I didn't warn you.  There now that I sound just like your mother (that's my job since I am a mother myself now), let's get on with the fun parts!
You'll have to wait until Friday (11/11/11) for the video, but here are some gift ideas.


- Buy (or recycle) a vase.  Etch the shape bow on the front of the vase with the ribbon going all the way around.  Fill it with flowers for a gorgeous hostess gift. In the vase pictured above, I also used glass enamel to highlight some of the edges.
- Buy a few of those plain, cheap votive candle holders and some scented candles and spell a word or name with one letter on each candle holder.
- Use a one quart plain canning jar to make a pretty layered cookies in a jar mix (use my recipe at the end of this post or just google "cookie mix in a jar" for pretty much any kind of cookies or brownies you can imagine).  Then either monogram the jar with the recipient's initial or if it's for Christmas you could make a simple festive shape like a Christmas tree or star.  I noticed some recipes for Gingerbread Cookie Mix in a jar when I was searching to see what's out there.  A simple gingerbread man etched on that jar would add so much personality!
- Clean out a pretty jelly or jam jar with soap and warm water, etch the word "relax" and fill it with home made bath salts. 

The possibilities are endless!  And the process is addicting.  You could very possibly think of something to etch for everyone on your Christmas list.  So put on your elf hat and get to work.  If you become an etching addict, don't say I didn't warn you (ohhh no, there's that mother thing again... sorry!).
Oh and I forgot to tell you one of my favorites... Actually I didn't forget - I just want to make you want to watch my video Friday.  So get excited because it's going to be good :)

And here's a cookie mix in a jar recipe I like:

Cranberry White Chocolate Elf Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips  
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cups rolled oats
 Directions:
  1. Mix the first 5 ingredients together and pour into the bottom of 1 quart jar.  Layer the rest of the ingredients on top in the order listed. Press each layer firmly in place before adding the next layer.
  2. Include a card with the following directions:                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.  In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir in the entire contents of the jar.  Shape into walnut sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Transfer from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment